Is Broccoli Really Toxic to Dogs
Foods and vegetables that may make your dog sick
In this article we give a Video on foods that are bad for dogs and we tell you the bad AND the good about giving your dog Broccoli as part of his diet. We also provide a list of other common toxic and non-toxic substances for Dogs!
My daughters dog Rusha waiting for my daughter to come home!
Is Broccoli Really Toxic to Dogs – Must know Summary
1) Broccoli is one of the human foods listed by ASPCA as harmful to dogs.
2) Broccoli can be safely eaten by dogs as long as what is consumed is not more than 10% of the diet.
3) What makes broccoli unsafe for dogs is the isothiocyanate it contains which is a strong gastric irritant.
4) Broccoli would have fatal effects on the dog if this vegetable exceeds 25% of the dogs diet.
Below is a video on foods that are toxic or that may make your dog sick. the sound is a little loud but it is worth watching
Ten Symptoms of Toxic Food Poisoning in Dogs:
- Vomiting along with diarrhea.
- Your dog is abnormally lethargic,
- Your dog is whimpering and perhaps curling into a ball.
- Other unusual activity – Yes your dog may try to “tell” you he is sick: My dog had a serious stomach ailment and he came up to me while I was laying down and placed his belly right next to my Head! He never did that befor. I noticed his stomach was tite and took him to the vet. It saved his life!
- A sick dog will also be off its food.
- Jaundiced eyes and pale gums.
- Suddenly hyperactive behavior.
- The dog may become disoriented
- Seizures , collapsing, Coma.
IF you think your dog has been poisoned: Call a vet OR Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
The ASPCA Poison Control Centers Phone Number is telephone number is (888) 426-4435. There is a $65 consultation fee for this service (we make nothing off recommending this).
Be ready with the following information:
- The species, breed, age, sex, weight and number of animals involved.
- The animal’s symptoms.
- Information regarding the exposure, including the agent (if known), the amount of the agent involved and the time elapsed since the time of exposure.
- Have the product container/packaging available for reference.
Please note: If your animal is having seizures, losing consciousness, is unconscious or is having difficulty breathing, telephone ahead and bring your pet immediately to your local veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic. If necessary, he or she may call the APCC.
Here is a great guide to Dog Health. I know you love your dog so if you want to pro-actively keep them healthy and want to prevent costly Vet visits then this Book is worth checking out. You can just click on the Book to go to the Authors page and find out more about it!
Is Broccoli Really Toxic to Dogs – The Details
Pet guardians would want the pet to stay as long as possible with the family. It is not surprising for dog owners to provide the pet with the best of care as dogs have become man’s most loyal and affectionate companions. As long as the health of the pet is ensured, the dog would not mind spending top dollar for the premium quality pet foods. The kind of diet provided by the owner will naturally have an effect on the dog’s overall health. Unfortunately, some commercial foods that are professed to be of premium quality would still be nutritionally inadequate. Supplements and vitamins will still be given by dog owners to the pet. The dog will still get foods that are known to be healthful to humans.
Dog owners have proven that dogs can gain a lot of healthful benefits from fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, dog owners have to be careful in choosing the fruits and vegetables that would be given to the pet given that some of these people foods have toxic effect on the dog.
Broccoli is one of the human foods listed by ASPCA as harmful to dogs. Broccoli though has lots of healthful benefits. This dark green vegetable is considered to be one if not the most nutritious vegetable as it contains higher levels of nutrients as compared to other vegetables. This vegetable that is a member of the cabbage family is jam packed with vitamins. Broccoli contains phytochemicals, the anti-aging and cancer fighting compounds.
Unfortunately, broccoli is one of the vegetables considered dangerous to dogs. Along with the healthful benefits of broccoli are the toxic effects thus dog owner are hesitant in giving this vegetable to the pet. Broccoli can be safely eaten by dogs as long as what is consumed is not more than 10% of the diet. What makes broccoli unsafe for dogs is the isothiocyanate it contains which is a strong gastric irritant. Broccoli would have fatal effects on the dog if this vegetable exceeds 25% of the dogs diet.
Vegetables are good for the dog. Dogs are not picky eaters but adding broccoli to the dry kibble would make the pet relish the food even more. Vegetables are not fattening thus the owner can indulge the voracious appetite of the pet without worrying about obesity. Dog owners though have to makes sure that the amount of broccoli consumed by the dog does not exceed the amount that can be tolerated by the dog’s system.
Is Broccoli Really Toxic to Dogs- do not feed your dog these
- Alcoholic beverages
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Yeast dough
- Products sweetened with xylitol
You can click on this link to read a more exhaustive list of Foods that can poison dogs.
You can click on this link to go back to our main web page and read more articles like Is Broccoli Really Toxic to Dogs
OK thats it for this article on foods that can make your dog sick
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!